Covering Deathchests

Dwarfers

So, probably unpopular opinion/suggestion compared to those that do it. Covering chests to me is the same as regioning them. You just died. Don't have gear. Chances are you can't break the blocks fast enough to get your stuff because it's also, for the most part, all of the time being camped. Sure you can make some cheap tools, but even then it's not enough, in my experience, to do much especially with a timer on the chest. And all that assuming you can get close enough to the chest. The people that place the blocks don't often remove them afterward either which just leaves an ugly little hut.

You can no longer just click the sign/chest to auto loot your deathchest. (Auto-looting being a primary reason covering chest being allowed in past.) You have to stand there anyway to take the contents out while also risking it breaking on you while you loot it and getting killed as you stand there trying get whatever even if you can get close enough to it. Risk is still there. Where's the issue in making it illegal again?

Last edited:

werwew19

Coding Team
Scripting Team
Reborn Staff
So, probably unpopular opinion/suggestion compared to those that do it. Covering chests to me is the same as regioning them. You just died. Don't have gear. Chances are you can't break the blocks fast enough to get your stuff because it's also, for the most part, all of the time being camped. Sure you can make some cheap tools, but even then it's not enough, in my experience, to do much especially with a timer on the chest. And all that assuming you can get close enough to the chest. The people that place the blocks don't often remove them afterward either which just leaves an ugly little hut.

You can no longer just click the sign/chest to auto loot your deathchest. (Auto-looting being a primary reason covering chest being allowed in past.) You have to stand there anyway to take the contents out while also risking it breaking on you while you loot it and getting killed as you stand there trying get whatever even if you can get close enough to it. Risk is still there. Where's the issue in making it illegal again?
I'm just going to add my opinion/take on this but this doesn't mean it will never change but I'd like to start up the discussion for this thread, however herocraft has always functioned this way for as long as I can remember and this is the first time I've seen someone actually suggest this shouldn't be allowed. I'm personally against this change but I'm also a pvp player but with the quick loot function on death chests I've tried camping a few chests this map and some players managed to get their chest and get away from me. I'm not a fan of having all these strict rules preventing pvp'rs from virtually doing anything because this is advertised as a pvp server however we're trying to appeal to PvE players as well to make the game fun for them as well but I don't see this as a healthy change for everyone.

Dwarfers

I'm just going to add my opinion/take on this but this doesn't mean it will never change but I'd like to start up the discussion for this thread, however herocraft has always functioned this way for as long as I can remember and this is the first time I've seen someone actually suggest this shouldn't be allowed. I'm personally against this change but I'm also a pvp player but with the quick loot function on death chests I've tried camping a few chests this map and some players managed to get their chest and get away from me. I'm not a fan of having all these strict rules preventing pvp'rs from virtually doing anything because this is advertised as a pvp server however we're trying to appeal to PvE players as well to make the game fun for them as well but I don't see this as a healthy change for everyone.
I'm definitely not the first. It's been argued for a long time and various solutions have been sought. On Herocraft, deathchests had gone through phases throughout the maps, I believe first brought in sometime during Bastion as a donor/supporter tier perk. The maps prior, Zeal/Dragonguard, were just drop inventory which I have no complaints for (although items all over the floor not picked up caused lag), but deathchests have been a want by many for various reasons so we work around it. When it comes to covering chests, it has been made illegal and legal back and forth.

This, by far, does not put strict rules on anyone or prevents PvPers from doing what they already do. PvP. You still have the ability/chance/opportunity to loot the items. If they get the stuff and get away, that's on you and your ability to prevent it from happening/killing them aka PvPing them. This was also a reason reagents were in place in past, to prevent/provide some restriction on people from being able to PvP infinitely without gear. I see this as the most balanced solution that provides risk and reward on both ends and those that camp the chest/want the loot have the upper hand because they are geared, and in some situations, out number the player that died.

Cream Slush

How about not being able to open death chests if you're tagged in PvP then, may have to make it so you can't access any chest while in combat possibly? I mean I could care less if this doesn't get added in since I cover chests also. But if it's such a big issue that so many people are complaining about, then this is the only solution I could see fit.

qraq

The thing is, how would you do this. Just outlaw covering deathchests? People would do it anyway. Make a claim area until timer expires around the chest so you can’t cover it? People can still cover the area, plus this will be easily abused. I don’t see how you could prevent covering deathchests.

Also, from my experience, once you close your own deathchest, it auto-breaks anyway? That seems to be the same thing as autolooting pretty much.

Top Bottom